Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Get Your Motor Running....

Recently, I realized I was not being focused in my efforts. Life is taking a new turn and as a result, I've been planning how to get back to my creative career path.

The glamourous job of pasting stickers on manila folders.... and I'm loving it! 








When my son was born I put much of my career plans on hold to care for him. My patient spouse and I agreed that it was a good financial plan. At the time, my illustration work was in a lull and he would need a lot of care (being just born). My wife's career was more established and paid well.   

I was still able to get a couple of jobs per year with long deadlines but it quickly became clear we needed at least a small regular supplement, I went back to library work part-time. I had still hoped to be able to do some freelance work in the off time but there wasn't a lot of either time or work. 

Now, after 18 years I have more freedom to pursue my artistic career. To that end, I applied for and got a Graphic Designer position with a local government entity. Despite my trepidation, I am discovering that I am enjoying myself. Design has changed very little since my days with Thomson-Gale. The only difference is the use of more powerful computers and more intuitive software. I even discovered my muscle memory for keyboard shortcuts still works. 

Maybe this will be long term or maybe it will be a jump-off point for someting better. Either way, I feel I have a few more options. 

No comments: