Saturday, November 07, 2009

Memorial

On November 1, my cousin, Monica Janette Azero, was struck and killed by a car as she and her boyfriend were returning from a San Diego Chargers game. She was 33.

In the intervening days I hopped an airplane and made the trip to be with family as we deal with the aftermath. It is said that you learn the most about people from who they leave behind. In Janette's case I have learned how much she meant to the people she shared this existence with.

Janette was a Head Nurse in the emergency room at a local hospital where she certainly saw humanity at its worst. I think she would be pleased to see it at its best now. I expect, though, that she would want everyone to be happy for the life she lived and not dwell on her passing.

Today I am going to the viewing and, unfortunately, it will also be my last chance to say goodbye. My responsibilities require me to be back in Ohio when she is finally laid to rest.

She was more than my cousin. She was a fourth sister. We spent our childhoods together and it grieves me that I will have to spend my adulthood without her laugh and smile. I am also grieved that my son will not have the opportunity to know someone who shared an important place in my life.

I know we'll meet again when I finally join those who went before. - I'm sure it will be a great party.


Monica Janette Azero
5/18/1976 - 11/1/2009

photo by Mystphoto

No comments: