Saturday, November 21, 2009

Going Back To Move Forward

I have decided to go back and rework a painting I did a couple of years ago because I wanted to make use of a few techniques to see if they really helped my process.

A while back I created a painting of the Apollo 11 descent stage on the moon bathed in earthglow. As much as I liked that piece there were a few things I couldn't resolve in the painting. Therefore I decided to borrow a few pages from James Gurney and build a maquette of the lander and light it. Already I discovered a few things that needed adjusting and I think I have a new approach to it.

One thing I've been reluctant to admit is that I sometimes need strong reference to create a realistic image. To that end I have invested in some basic maquette tools and did some research. So far I have enjoyed the results immensely.

Lighted LEM model

I am also learning that as much as I want something to look "realistic" it is also sometimes necessary to embellish a bit to get an image that is also visually pleasing. That's not to say that it couldn't also be realistic. Chelsey Bonestell, in creating images of the moon, knew that the mountains were not craggy and sharp but he also knew that smooth, rolling hills were not part of public perception. He painted what the art directors wanted and not what he knew was right.

Sometimes you have to compromise to get the sale.

No comments: