Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Imaginative Realism

My copy of Imaginative Realism arrived from the James Gurney Studio and I couldn't wait to open it! I hope to post a review of some sort in the coming days/weeks. I don't have a lot of time to do anything so I have to prioritize but this is one item that flew to the top of the list.

The book came personalized by James Gurney upon request from his The Dinotopia Store. Yes, I could have bought it from Amazon but it would not have had the great inscription. And if it is anything like the blog Gurney Journey then I expect to learn a fantastic amount and I won't have to turn on my computer to do so.

I was remarking to my wife a few days ago that I feel that I have learned volumes reading James Gurney's blog. It is a fantastic resource for all artists but I have taken particular joy in that I feel it is rounding my education.

For so long I have felt that I was missing something about being an artist. Not the beret or the aloofness or the goatee (though I do have one of those). Instead, I feel like I was missing important elements of how to conduct myself. How to be methodical about a painting for the best results. How to use what I know and understand about my own abilities to get the best results.

So stay tuned for my review. But please be patient.

No comments: