Thursday, November 17, 2022

And So It Came To Pass.... (2)

Having changed majors I focused on what I needed to do. But it soon became apparent that the courses I needed for graduation weren't being offered. In frustration I saw my counselor and asked how I could get classes in my major. I don't remember if the counselor smirked but the words were clear, "I'm sorry."

The illustration department courses were part of deep cuts during the economic downturn in the early 1990s. My major was a casualty.

Eventually, between financial aid and no classes to attend, I dropped out with three semesters unfinished. I tried not to think of myself as the latino dropout stereotype from the cautionary films. Nevertheless, I was able to secure some art jobs through friend-of-friend scenarios.

Starship wreck sketch for fun.

It wasn't "Norman Rockwell and the Saturday Evening Post"  level work but it paid some bills and helped with confidence. Until the bottom fell out. 

The small press company I was working with suddenly ceased to exist. There was a lot of finger-pointing (as usual) but the whys, wherefores, or reasons thereof were unclear to me. Ultimately I wasn't paid for at least one job and a few art pieces disappeared in the bankruptcy.       
Work trickled in from stranded clients who could afford it but eventually even that dried up. Then the day came that I was working three part-time jobs and realized everything needed to change.

A close sibling of illustration is graphic design. The two often work hand-in-hand and I had already turned down a few jobs because it was not in my skill set. I also knew San Diego State had a graphic design program and I had an unfinished degree hanging over me.

Once again, I turned in my paperwork.

I went back to school with three semesters left to graduate, in spring 1998....
 
TO BE CONTINUED.... 

No comments: