Friday, October 28, 2022

Something New

For almost 30 years I have worked to make my living as an illustrator. Some years were better than others and some needed a part-time boost to help pay the bills. But overall, art has been my trade and everything else has been a side line.

When I stepped back from art to be dad I wondered if it was a good idea to have gone part-time paycheck. Then I look at the independant, intelligent young man my son has grown into and I know it was worth the effort. 

It wasn't as though I cut off art completely. That would be akin to removing an arm or leg. I can't NOT be an artist. I fit in the occasional project or volunteered to create art at work. I also have years of sketchbooks and digital art for the time because I have always known that when the time is right I'll go back.

Just a sampling of the sketchbook shelf. 


Recently it became clear that a family nexus point is coming. My son graduates high school this spring, my spouse recieved a promotion and numerous other life changes among friends and family. All in the next six months or so.

Seem like life has a way of putting up giant billboards to remind you there is roadwork ahead. 

Years ago my spouse and I went to see Maya Angelou speak. It was amazing but the thing that stuck with me the most was her view that life whispers to you when you need to make a change. If you don't listen, life will yell to get your attention. She advised to, " get it on the whisper". 

Clearly, I've been hearing a lot of low whispering lately. 

No comments: