Wednesday, October 11, 2017

The Mighty Pen

Sometimes when things are slow it's fun to do a little sketching. The scrap paper is roughly 3 x 4 in. and drawn in pen. The inspiration was from a chain of sketches that started with a bigfoot battling a dogman. Each iteration got closer to the duo and finally to an in-your-face scream. The teeth were probably the most fun. Then there's the glowing eye focused right on the audience. 


It also gave me a chance to try some new ink techniques. I have been learning and enjoying using a dip pen for inking. The inspiration is partly from long-time curiousity and a chance meeting with William Stout at a local convention. 

I bought the nibs and holder years ago but never got the courage to try it out until I got to see the artistic potential in person. 

I'm hooked. The line variation and subtlety are wonderful. And it works to my drawing strength. Even better, the dark solid lines scan great for use in Illustrator and Photoshop with minimal post processing. 

Looking for great things to come!

No comments: